May 19, 2012

Salmon Fritters with Corn Chowder

Probably I'm misusing both the terms "fritter" and "chowder" here.

We recently inherited a bunch of newly expired cans of food from my in-laws' armageddon stash, so there's more processed food in this than there might otherwise be. Don't judge. Last night it was green bean casserole with actual canned cream of mushroom soup and canned dried onions. First time I'd ever made it not from scratch. But anyways, tonight:

The fritters:
Oatmeal, ground to nearly powder in the food processor. Set aside.
In the food processor, puree a zucchini and half an onion.
Add a can of salmon (vertebrae removed, but don't sweat the smaller bones), an egg, and the oatmeal.
When the consistency's right, add in some feta and give it a quick whirl.
Form into patties and fry in oil until browned.

The soup:
Make a handful of beans (white, ideally, but I used pinto) in a a lot (6 cups?) of broth. Add in some brown rice or barley, and some diced potatoes.
When everything's begun to soften, add in a can of corn and a can of cream of chicken soup. Cook a while more, then puree.
Finally, add in some roasted diced potatoes.

Serve the soup in shallow bowls with a fritter on top. Garnish with hot sauce.

Notes: I wasn't blown away by the roasted potatoes, but Cheryl liked 'em in the soup. The creamy texture and deliciousness of the fritters is perfect for me. Erin gobbled up the fritter like the world was ending. Noah made a terrible face at the fritters, but ate about a gallon of soup.

2 comments:

  1. Strange coincidence, just before going to your blog I was searching the net for chowder recipes to get ideas for a soup I'm making tonight. We're on the same wavelength, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on posts more than 14 days old.